South and Pleasant Streets
Little remains today of the Atlas Tack Company factory, built by Rogers in 1902 to house one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of tacks, nails, bottlecaps and other small hardware. Originally the American Tack Co., located on the former Rodman Wharf on Fort Street, Atlas Tack was formed in 1895 when Rogers acquired the Fairhaven company and consolidated it with several other tack manufacturing firms.
It was the town’s largest employer during much of the 20th century. The factory was closed in 1985 and most of its structures were subsequently razed. Cleanup of the property under the supervision of the Environmental Protection Agency was completed in 2007. Today only the office building on Pleasant Street remains standing.