Between 1903 and 1906, the stagnant Mill Pond, which had connected to the harbor at one time, was filled with earth moved by a small steam train from an area north of Bridge Street. The pond had consisted of about 5 acres of standing water surrounded by low marsh.
This major engineering project, overseen by Joseph K. Nye, also diverted the Herring River underground and raised the level of parts of Bridge Street. The original landscaping included many trees, flowering shrubs and flower beds.
This public park, which now includes some of the high school’s athletic facilities, is named for Rogers’ ancestor Robert Cushman, one of the planners of the Pilgrim’s voyage to America. Officially given to the town in 1908, this was Rogers’ last gift to Fairhaven before his death in May 1909.